-
September 25th, 2001, 06:34 PM
#11
c_77
Guest
If I zoom in, and then set my manual exposure to that reading, will I be underexposed when I zoom out again? I'm confused...In fact, I plan to use the zoom lens sparingly.
Thanx-Chris
------------------
-
September 25th, 2001, 06:44 PM
#12
c_77
Guest
Actually, the last show I filmed the band were jerks and only used two halogen work lamps to light the show...My friend convinced me to: "just follow the singer, and avoid zoom cause it's a cheesey 60's effect." Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. If I only would have zoomed-in I would have gathered a little more light, ensuring my exposure (the meter was about right on underexposure). I had my Sankyo 420XL set on auto. In addition, by following the lead singer guy jumping up and down every one of my shots are going to look like shit! But the film hasn't come back yet, and who knows.
Thanx-Chris
------------------
[This message has been edited by c_77 (edited September 25, 2001).]
-
September 25th, 2001, 06:56 PM
#13
Alex
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c_77:
If I zoom in, and then set my manual exposure to that reading, will I be underexposed when I zoom out again? I'm confused...In fact, I plan to use the zoom lens sparingly.
Thanx-Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let me answer a similar but different question....what is the most important element in the shot you need to expose properly.
You may not have control over the contrast ratio of bright to dark images in your wide shot, but you do have total control over which element in the scene is the most important for you to properly expose.
------------------
Alex
-
September 25th, 2001, 07:15 PM
#14
c_77
Guest
Hi Alex,
The performers are the most imporant subjects I want to film. I will be in front as close as possible. How do I set the manual aperture in a wide angle shot? If I do not zoom-in at all, and take meter reading, is this the correct exposure for that scene? Maybe I am not being clear. Can I leave it wide angle, set it on auto, and then set it to that reading manually? Or must I move close or zoom-in...Must I change the f-stops if I zoom-in? I keep on thinking of it like the process of focusing.
Thanx-Chris
------------------
[This message has been edited by c_77 (edited September 25, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by c_77 (edited September 25, 2001).]
-
September 25th, 2001, 09:49 PM
#15
rollemfilm
Guest
the 814 & the 814E both have an auto iris. they both can be set manualy. but, the 814E has a servo motor for the manual setting. the older 814 does not. points made about the background are very valid. when i shoot concerts i always under exspose by 1/2 a stop with black backgrounds. this is a bigger problem for filmmakers because with stills, you can meter each shot. you should if you can, shoot a test roll. when you have colored lights this can be a problem also. i've seen major films like "Monterey Pop" were parts of the film were so over exposed it looked experimental. red seems to be the biggest problem. meter on the darkest area thats needs detail. if a performer purple shirt is the darkest area you are interested in showing, then use that. without proper lighting tests and adjustments you may not get a perfect picture, but you should get good usable results.
------------------
-
September 25th, 2001, 11:56 PM
#16
Alex
Guest
Yes, you could say that setting the exposure is like setting your focus, you zoom in on the object you value most in the scene, take an autoexposure reading....click over to manual exposure while still zoomed in, making sure the meter doesn't somehow change before you click to manual....then make a decision as to whether you keep the f-stop EXACTLY where it was when it was in auto, only now it's locked off in manual mode, or whether you over or underexpose by up to 1 f-stop....
You do not have to keep re-metering unless there is a drastic re-light or costume change.
But you can re-meter if you just want to re-verify your exposure result.
You should also re-meter if what you consider to be your main subject changes to some one else, or they have moved to a different part of the stage where there is an obvious shift in lighting.
And be careful of those spotlights that may hit a lead singer and cause them to be much brighter than anything else in the shot.
You will be forced to make tough choices as to what exposure to choose once the lead singer is more than a stop and a half brighter than everything else.
Spotlights are generally pleasing for the live entertainment but make the camerapersons job more difficult.
------------------
Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 26, 2001).]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks